Peanut Allergy – Things You Need To Know

Peanut allergy is one of the types of allergies that you need to take into consideration seriously. While other allergies can just trigger usual symptoms like itching, sneezing, watery eyes, coughing, swelling hands or feet, peanut allergy can lead to sudden death. Peanut allergy can cause unconsciousness to the sufferer that can lead to death. Also, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, peanut allergy is the main culprit behind food-related deaths. There are numerous instances wherein the kitchen staff did not comply with the request not to include peanuts as ingredient in meals which resulted in fatalities. The person with peanut allergy goes anaphylactic and without epinephrine in a few minutes could lead to death. You need to understand what peanut allergy so that you can protect the people close to you who suffer from this type of allergy.

Peanut allergy can start as early as childhood and even during babyhood. So a parent should be knowledgeable about the symptoms of peanut allergy. Although it is believed that kids eventually outgrow this kind of allergy, it can still lead to serious consequences when ignored. There have also been studies mentioned in Wisegeek that peanut allergy among children surfaces since they have relatives with allergies too. It could also be passed on from the genes so might as well check your relatives who may have one.

Peanut allergy can be triggered by simply eating peanuts or food with peanuts such as marzipans, energy bars, baked goods, ice cream and frozen desserts, grain breads and dishes that are Oriental, African or Mexican. A person with peanut allergy can suffer from shortness of breath, diarrhea, swelling, and itching in some specific body part. Anaphylactic shock can be fatal due to the obstruction of the airways and rapid pulse that ensues. Epineprhine is used as first-aid treatment whenever symptoms are evident. Rushing to the hospital is also advisable.

Peanut allergy is not actually an impairment, it is an ailment that can be avoided by not consuming food with peanuts and being prepared for an allergic reaction anytime.